Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Eggs benedict (Oeufs bénédicte)

I am a big fan of Sunday morning brunches. I usually love to cook and eat everything that is on a typical French brunch menu: crêpes, waffles, french toast... But believe it or not, only a few months ago I had never eaten eggs benedict. Like never ever. I didn't even know what eggs benedict were like. I was asked for eggs benedict on a Sunday morning for brunch and I had to google it to find a recipe. And without having the slightest idea of what it would look like I just made them, and absolutely loved them. It is now a regular item on our Sunday brunch menu.

I have kept the recipe that I found on that first day, but made a few adjustments to it. For example the recipe called for ham, and I now use prosciutto. I think that the strongest and salty taste of the prosciutto complements very well the egg and the sauce. I also tend to not use as much lemon in my sauce because I happen to find the taste of the lemon too overwhelming in the original recipe.

This is a very simple dish to put together and it is delicious. I encourage you to try it!


Eggs benedict recipe:

Ingredients:

English muffins
Prosciutto
Eggs
Salt
Pepper
1 tbsp Lemon juice
10 tbsp unsalted Butter
3 egg yolks
Rice vinegar

Fill a large skillet with water and bring to a boil. Pour some rice vinegar in the water and keep to a simmer. Then prepare the hollandaise sauce. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and whisk the butter, egg yolks and lemon juice together. Season with salt and pepper. Keep whisking in a warm place, but not over fire or the egg yolks will scramble. If your sauce is too liquid, you can add a little bit of flour to thicken it.

Toast the muffins sliced in half. Put one slice of prosciutto in two layers on each half of muffin.

Poach the eggs. Crack each egg in a small bowl and pour the egg from the bowl to the simmering water very slowly. Then try to bring the egg together around the yolk with two spoons. The timing depends on the size of your egg and how hot your water is, but the eggs will be ready pretty quick (around two minutes). You can then remove the poached eggs from the water using two spoons, and dispose them on the prosciutto. Take two tablespoons of hollandaise sauce and pour it on top of the egg. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment